Medical Records 
We are happy to provide you with a copy of your medical record—or send it to a designated physician or facility. Please print and complete this form and return it to us by fax or mail. Please be aware that there is a fee for copying the record, if the request is for anything other than continuing care. The amount will be determined once we have received your request.

For continuing care please call 828-315-3115 or fax your request to 828-315-3027.

Mail to:
Frye Regional Medical Center
Health Information Department
420 North Center Street
Hickory, NC 28601

Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm

For continuing care please call 828-315-3115 or fax your request to 828-315-3030.

How do I get a copy of my medical record?
You must complete an Authorization to Disclose Protected Health Information
form to receive your record.

How can I obtain the Authorization to Disclose Protected Health Information form?
Contact Health Information Management at 828-315-3115 or download.

How long will it take to fill my request?
North Carolina state regulations allow for 15 days from the day we receive your request. However, you could receive your record sooner. Most of our requests are handled through a third party vendor, ScanStat. They can be contacted at 770-569-2445 if you have a question about the status of your request.

Will I be charged for copies of my medical record?
PatientsYes there is a charge, MRO will contact you once they have completed the transaction to let you know how much you will owe, you are not obligated to pay, but you won’t receive your records until you do.

There is no charge for medical records to be faxed to a provider for continuing care.

Third-party RequestsScanStat will contact the third party and let them know what the charge will be.  It will be no more then what the state allows for copying services.

What type of information can I request?
Requesting only pertinent information will save you money, as you will obtain the most important information about your stay. If you require more information, you may make an additional request.

What if I just want to view my record?
We do not have the ability at this time for viewing electronic records, however if you would like to come in and view your paper record, we can arrange for this by appointment only.

How long do you keep medical records?
We keep your visit information on file for 11 years for adults and 30 years for minors.  If you simply want to know the day of your visit, your diagnosis, and the name of your attending physician, we keep that information indefinitely.

What is considered a Frye Regional Medical Center record?
If you received treatments or services at the following Frye Regional Medical Center locations, we will have a record of your visit:

  • Frye Care
  • Frye Regional Hospital
  • Frye – South Campus
  • Outpatient Physical Therapy
  • Outpatient Rehabilitation
  • Frye Same Day Surgery Records
  • Hickory Cardiology
  • Piedmont Cardiology
  • Radiation Oncology
  • Sleep Studies
  • Tate Surgery Center
  • Unifour Pain Treatment Center
  • Wound and Infusion Records

Some departments within Frye Regional Medical Center facilities maintain their own medical records. Call for information about care received at:

  • Radiology – for actual images. (Call 828-315-3774. If no answer, leave a message and someone will return your call.)
  • Cardiac Rehab (Current patients, call 828-315-3563. Past patients, contact Health Information Management at 828-315-3115)  

What if I have a question about my medical record?
Health Information Management only can supply your record; we cannot discuss any information contained in the record with you or anyone else. Please direct your questions to Corporate Compliance at 828-315-5090.

What if I’m requesting records for someone else or a family member?
You must provide the proper documentation if you are the guardian or Designated Power of Attorney for the person for whom you are requesting documents.

What if I want to make a correction to my medical record?
You would need to contact Health Information Management at 828-315-3115 for the proper forms.