420 N. Center St
Hickory, NC 28601
Open 24 hours
Having a medical emergency?
If you or a loved one is experiencing a medical emergency, please dial 911 immediately. The Frye Regional Medical Center Emergency Department (ED) cares for patients who need emergency care and immediate medical attention. We understand that health issues don't take nights or weekends off — so our care and treatment don't either. To check our estimated Emergency Room (ER) wait time, see the ER time clock at the top of the website.
The ED at Frye Regional Medical Center is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, for all medical emergencies. Our ED provides the 40,000 patients we treat annually with:
- Board-certified emergency medicine physicians, 32 patient rooms and 3 nurses’ stations
- Behavioral health treatment and referral, including suicide threat and alcohol detox
- High quality standards for treatment of chest pain and stroke
- Sexual assault nurse examiners specially trained to provide compassionate care and collect forensic evidence
- Treatment of major and minor injuries and illnesses
Emergency Department or Urgent Care?
If you need care for minor, non-life-threatening illnesses or injuries when your primary care doctor’s office is closed, you might save hundreds of dollars and a trip to the ED by heading instead to an urgent care. FryeCare Urgent Care in Conover, for example, is open 7 days a week, including holidays.
Signs of a medical emergency
Some of the most common life-threatening emergencies are heart attack and stroke. Frye Regional’s quality emergency care has been recognized for:
- Accredited Chest Pain Center
- American Heart Association Mission: Lifeline STEMI (Heart Attack) Receiving Facility
- Certified Primary Stroke Center
Paying for care
Learn about paying for your care at Frye Regional Medical Center, including insurance coverage, understanding your bill and financial assistance. Visit Understanding Billing and Charges for answers to frequently asked questions, to see a list of charges, and more.