Get Up and Go
Are you one of the millions of Americans with arthritis struggling to stay active and do the things you love? Painful joints can keep you from walking in the park, playing with grandchildren or even climbing stairs.
Here are 5 tips to help ease arthritis pain:
- Be active: Exercise helps with your flexibility and promotes weight loss. Try low weight bearing exercises like swimming and water aerobics to help flex your joints and move about without extra stress.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: Extra pounds add extra stress to your joints. Eat more fruits and vegetables and try to reduce your intake of foods with high calories and low nutritional value like cookies, cakes and candies.
- Include Fatty Acids in Your Diet: Healthy fats are important for good health and may help with arthritis pain. Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil supplements may also help to reduce inflammation, which can reduce pain and swelling.
- Heat and Ice Therapy: Consider a hot bath or shower to help ease joint pain. Cold treatments like ice packs or bags of frozen vegetables can also help with pain and swelling.
- Consider trying herbal supplements: Talk with your doctor about herbal supplements like S-adenosylmethionine, Boswellia Serrate, Capsaicin, Tumeric, Avocado-soybean Unisaponifiables (ASU), Uncaria tomentosa, fish oil, Gamma Linolenic Acid, Ginger. These supplements may help to relieve pain and swelling.
Have some questions and not sure where to begin? Learn more about treatments for joint pain by attending a free seminar on Thursday, October 4 at 6 p.m. at FryeCare Outpatient Imaging Center in Hickory.
This free seminar will be presented by orthopedic nurse navigator Nikol Maynor, BSN, RN
When: Thursday, October 4
What Time: 6pm
Where: FryeCare Outpatient Imaging Center, 1781 Tate Blvd SE, Suite 101, Hickory