Make Safe Driving A Priority
Frye Regional offers a Driver Assessment Program that assesses any mental or physical changes that could get in the way of safe driving. Both clinical and behind-the-wheel assessments are offered.
Our Driver Assessment Program:
- Is a NC state licensed driving school specializing in drivers with physical disabilities or other conditions that may interfere with motor vehicle operation
- Is designed to determine if a driving candidate has the physical, mental, and visual abilities to safely operate a motor vehicle after a change in medical status
- Provides physicians and N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles with information and recommendations for further driving privileges
- Consists of two assessments: a clinical assessment and when appropriate, a behind-the-wheel assessment
- The Clinical Assessment evaluates the driver’s memory function, reaction time, ability to follow directions, abstract thinking, sensation and problem solving.
- The Behind-the-Wheel Assessment Examines the driver’s ability to prepare a motor vehicle for driving, to demonstrate safe driving practices, and to operate the vehicle in various types of traffic
- Provides assessment and recommendations for special adaptive equipment for the vehicle, as well as training for proficiency in using adaptive equipment
The cost of the driver evaluation is fee based (not covered by insurance). Rates will be discussed when scheduling and will be based on the level of training needed. Please call 828.315.5354 for more information.
Who Can Benefit?
The Driver Assessment program will assess the skills of persons who have experienced these or other medical conditions:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Visual impairments
- Loss of function due to aging
- Diabetic conditions
A written referral from a physician is required.
Participants must also have a valid driver’s license and adequate vision to meet DMV standards. The referring physician will receive an objective report with recommendations following the conclusion of the driving evaluation. Physician referrals may be faxed to 828.315.5587.
Additional training or education on adaptive equipment is available as a part of our outpatient occupational therapy program.
Please call 828.315.5354 for more information.
The Driver Assessment Program is offered in the Therapy Services Department at Frye Regional’s main campus located on North Center Street.
Enter through the Therapy Services entrance. Valet parking is available.
The program operates Monday - Friday, from 8 am to 5 pm.